Observation

by Sheila Perez


Willow wasn't jealous.

Really she wasn't. She had Xander, after all, and he was all she could possibly want. It was good that Oz was moving on. Very good. She was happy for him.

But did he have to move on in such a public place?

They were in the Bronze, and the Bronze was their place. How could he be so affectionate there, in front of all their friends, all the people who knew them, and she wasn't jealous just 'cause he was being way more cuddly in public with that girl than he had ever been with her.

She watched them kiss, watched him curl his fingers into the other girl's hair. Watched her tickle his stomach. Oz looked up at the girl, and he looked so...so...Oz-ish. There was nothing on his face, really. Just a tilt to the lips, the quirk of an eyebrow, and Willow knew he was amused.

So did the other girl. She knew. She knew Oz's non-expressions.

Willow looked down at her mocha, swirling the straw around. She wasn't upset. She was happy, and Oz deserved to be happy, so she'd be happy that he found a girl that he liked who understood him. She was happy, dammit.
Really.

Spacer

Alexa tugged on the hem of Oz's shirt, giggling into his neck. "Does she still look like she smells something bad?"

Oz rolled his eyes. "This is incredibly childish."

"But it's fun," she pointed out. "And I want to see her."

"Why?"

"Truth?"

Oz nodded. "Always."

Alexa shrugged. "She's...I don't know. Her existence annoys me."

"You don't even know her, 'Lexa."

"Oh?" Alexa sat up, brushing her hair back from her face. "I know that she hurt you badly enough that you came to me. I know that she did something that you can't forgive."

"I've forgiven her. I've moved on."

"So what's she wearing? What does she smell like? Taste like?"

"Alexa..." Oz sighed. "Sex isn't everything. And it's not like I had sex with her anyway."

"Answer."

"She's wearing purple. And pink. White tights." Oz closed his eyes. "She smells like apples, and lavender, and--" Oz growled softly, and buried his face in Alexa's shoulder.

"Oz?"

"She smells like him."

"I'm going to kick her ass." Alexa stood up quickly and Oz grabbed her wrist. She looked down at him and raised an eyebrow.

"No, Alexa." Oz shook his head. "It's okay."

"It's not."

"It is."

"Not."

"Is."

"Hmmphm." Alexa sat back down, and Oz curled into her side, head resting on her lap. "No offense, babe, but what did you see in her?"

"She's beautiful."

Alexa made a face. "She has no style."

"She's smart."

"Snotty about it, I'll bet."

"She's sweet."

"And you like that?" Alexa frowned down at him. "You know, the thought of the two of you together is just deeply disturbing."

Spacer

His head was in her lap! Willow squeaked and looked back down at the tabletop. He had never done that with her.

She snuck another glance at the couple on the couch. Oz was dressed like Oz, except...not. Willow frowned. Oz never wore dark colors. Except for that one time when he was with Cordelia. But Oz never wore dark colors.

Except he was. Dark, clingy shirt. Red, she guessed, but she couldn't really tell. And leather. He was wearing leather pants. Oz. Leather. On Oz.

It was just so...wrong.

And the girl. The not-wearing-much-at-all girl. Patterned stockings -- Willow frowned. Not good, solid stockings. The sheer kind. With patterns on them. And her dress! Shirt! Short little weird thing that showed off more than it covered, and really, didn't Oz get upset that half the club was ogling his girlfriend and oh good Lord, Willow really didn't think the girl was wearing anything under it.

Willow looked back down at her drink.

Spacer

"Come on babe." Alexa nudged Oz's head off her leg. "Up we go."

"Mmm. Wh'for?"

"I do have to work tonight, y'know." Alexa kissed his forehead. "'Sides, you have a date, if I remember right."

"Er..."

"Oh, hush. You like him, he likes you, and you get a free meal out of it."

Oz smiled. "When you put it like that..."

"He's really much more relaxed at home."

"More?"

"Less of an ass."

"I thought you liked him," said Oz.

"Oh, I do. But that fact that I enjoy his company doesn't make him any less of an ass."

"You two are weird."

"You say that like it's a bad thing, darlin'."

Oz stretched and kissed her slowly. "Thanks, Alexa."

"No prob. Oh, hey, Oz?"

"Hm?"

Alexa grabbed his hand and squeezed it gently. "I like you too."

Spacer

Willow stared down at the tabletop, tracing little circles on it with her finger. They were holding hands. And laughing.

Oz had never laughed with her. She wondered why.

"Hey, Willow."

She looked up quickly, staring up into familiar green eyes. "Hey, Oz."

Oz looked at her silently for a moment, and Willow shifted uncomfortably. "You look...good."

"Yeah. You too." Willow smiled. It felt like a sick little one. The kind you get when you really don't want to smile, but people expect it. "So, uh, who's your friend?"

"Oh, manners. This is Alexa. Alexa, this is Willow." Oz shoved his hands into his pockets, wondering why he had stopped to say hello.

Willow stuck out her hand. "Hi."

Alexa raised an eyebrow. "Oz has told me so much about you."

"He uh...he has?" Willow looked over at Oz. "That's...good."

Alexa only smiled coolly. "It's been interesting." She smiled at Oz. "Ready to go?"

"Yeah. Bye Will."

Willow watched them turn and leave, hand in hand. "Yeah. Bye."

Spacer

"I hate her."

"Alexa, you said like three words to her."

"Ugh. Three more than necessary. God, how did you stand her? Timid, weak little thing. And could she sound more congested?"

"You are so weird."

"But I have clear sinuses."

"Freak."

"Oh, I'm the freak?"

"Not the only one."

"All right then."

T O R C H