the pearl

Revolution

The revolution will not be televised.

The streets will run red with blood and black with ashes. Children will scream, babies will cry, grown men will weep for what has come before them.

An infinite number of deaths will not be good enough for them and what has occurred.

The revolution will not be televised. It's a small revolution, and the millions of viewers across the United States will not even know it has taken place.

People will sleep peacefully at night on their thick feather beds, blissfully ignorant about what has and will occur in this small town. Sunnydale will become another casualty of a war that is not broadcast on CNN, NBC, or any form of media save a few scattered diaries and letters, saved in a particular place by particular people.

The revolution will not be televised. Television would not do what is about to be done justice. When a Slayer goes rogue, there must be something done — to set the cycle right. We are a proud group, and to see one such as her defy our laws shames us as much as it shames the mission.

For we have a mission. We have a duty to protect these people — the people who sleep and eat and fuck and die without ever knowing we exist. Protecting them from the creatures who shun the daylight and hunt in the night. Protecting them from demons and vampires and things that they could never even possibly imagine, not even in their nightmares.

The revolution will not be televised because it is not much of a revolution. We have done this before, when a Slayer has forgotten her path — has forgotten her role in life. We require order. Justice. Obedience.

Her perceptions of herself and the people around her may have changed, making her the hero and the savior of them all, but she has strayed from the path, she has become a criminal, a slut, nothing better than the creatures she consorts with.

The revolution will not be televised. And when we go to Sunnydale, and ambush Buffy Summers with her lover, the vampire known as Spike, killing them both, the revolution will have come.

This Angel/Buffy the Vampire Slayer story was written by Kate Bolin. If you liked it, there's plenty more at http://www.dymphna.net/fanfic/. And you can feedback her at dymphna@dymphna.net.